Transfer Opportunities

Why transfer to JWU? | Guaranteed Admission Program | Transfer Credit Options | Transfer Evaluation System (TES) | Articulation Agreements | FAQs

Students enjoying Family Weekend

JWU offers credit for life experiences and competitive financial assistance for transfer students.

Since 1914, we’ve become a world-renowned leader in experiential education. By transferring to JWU, you’ll get an exceptional professionally focused education in the field you want to pursue.

Why Transfer to JWU?

Almost 1,000 students transfer to Johnson & Wales every year for reasons including our liberal credit transfer policy, flexible class schedules, transfer scholarships and more. 

As a transfer student, you may enroll in September, December or March. We’ll help to ensure that you transfer the maximum number of applicable credits, minimizing course repetition and ensuring appropriate academic placement.

You’ll also enjoy:

  • Up to $12,000 in scholarships especially for transfer students
  • Class registration priority
  • Faculty with industry experience
  • Small class size
  • Flexible class schedules
  • Athletics, clubs and sports
  • Study abroad opportunities
  • Four campuses to choose from: Providence, RI; North Miami, Fla.; Denver, Colo.; and Charlotte, NC

Guaranteed Admission Program

The Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP) creates a seamless admission process for transfer students intending to complete a baccalaureate degree at Johnson & Wales University at one of our campuses during the day, evening or online. Learn more about eligible degree programs, advising options and much more on our Guaranteed Admission Program homepage.

Transfer Credit Options

Want to shave time and money off your degree completion?

Our liberal transfer credit policies give you maximum credit for your previous college-level education. We offer credit for your life experiences, including military service, as well as competitive pricing with financial assistance options.

Testing for credit options
All matriculating students at Johnson & Wales are eligible to apply, participate and earn credit for previous academic and/or prior learning experiences by successfully completing one of the following Prior Learning Assessments: Challenge Exams, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or Portfolio. To learn more, visit the Testing for Credit section of our Registration and Graduation Information site.

Will my credits transfer?

Our Transfer Evaluation System (TES) provides you with information on the courses that have previously been evaluated and accepted at Johnson & Wales University.

  • Step 1: Review the catalog for the term in which you are enrolling/or your degree audit to determine what courses are required of your program.

  • Step 2: Select the school(s) you previously attended.

  • Step 3: Locate the courses you have completed with a grade of “C” or better (numeric value 2.0).

  • Step 4: Add the courses to your list.

  • Step 5: Compare your list to the courses in your selected program of study to determine what courses you MAY receive as transfer credit and the courses you will have remaining to complete at Johnson & Wales University.

The information provided is to be used as a guide and is subject to change without notice.

Articulation Agreements

Transferring from a community college? JWU is proud to have a number of articulation agreements and transfer credit equivalencies in place which facilitate student transfer to Johnson & Wales University.


How do I complete my undergraduate application?

How much does it cost to apply to JWU?

There is no fee when applying to Johnson & Wales University.

What is the application deadline for admission?

JWU accepts applications on a rolling basis, so there is no deadline to apply. However, you are encouraged to submit your application along with applicable high school and college transcripts as early as possible.

*Do you require ACT or SAT scores?

ACT or SAT scores are optional for general admission.

However, scores from at least one of these standardized tests are required for Honors admission.

*Please refer to the course catalog for majors that may require SAT/ACT scores for admission

What criteria are needed for admission?

In addition to your completed application, you must also submit

  1. Official college transcripts from all previously attended colleges
  2. High school transcripts and proof of high school completion

If you are currently attending another college, it is your responsibility to have updated transcripts sent to JWU as soon as the final grades become available (or within the first term of enrollment).

What are the criteria for transferring credits?

Transfer credit evaluations are based on previous college work as it relates to your intended field of study.

Credit is usually granted for courses completed with a grade of “C” or better (with a numeric value of 2.00) at another accredited institution (recognized by the U.S. Department of Education).

Grades of “pass” are also acceptable for transfer if credit was awarded (and a grade of “P” has the numeric value of 2.00 or greater).

Credits earned in developmental and remedial courses or CEUs are nontransferable.

What if I am interested in more than one campus?

You only need to apply once; acceptance to the university is valid at any campus, unless otherwise specified for certain majors.

How is the school year at JWU structured?

We enroll classes in terms for:

  • September
  • December
  • March 

Certain programs also accept applicants for the June term. Contact your campus of interest to inquire.

What financial information do I need to send?

Are you entering in any term other than September? If so, you must submit a financial aid transcript from every school you attended after high school – even if you did not receive aid at the other school(s).

Contact the financial aid office at each school and request that they forward an official financial aid transcript to JWU’s Student Financial Services.

What is the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?

The following students attending JWU are required to have health insurance coverage that is accepted in the United States (and the state in which the student attends class):

  • All international, registered, undergraduate day students
  • All domestic, registered, undergraduate day students
  • All students enrolled in the Physician Assistant Studies degree program
  • All international graduate/doctoral students
  • All students enrolled in Counseling MS program

All students who are required to have health insurance are initially enrolled in and charged for SHIP.

Opt Out

If you have health insurance coverage through another means (i.e. a parent’s health insurance or an employer program), you can opt out of SHIP by demonstrating proof of coverage:

Complete University Health Plan’s waiver

IMPORTANT: Before waiving SHIP, be sure that your current health insurance plan is accepted in the state in which you attend class and fully covers all your medical needs.

You must submit a new waiver form each academic year. Students who are required to have health insurance and do not waive the JWU plan will be charged for it.

More Info

SHIP is serviced by University Health Plans and underwritten by United Healthcare.

Visit University Health Plan’s website for:

  • Answers to commonly-asked questions about SHIP
  • Coverage summary
  • Full summary of benefits, waiver deadlines and contact information

Contact Us

Providence: 401-477-0055
Your rep: Justin Mercier

North Miami: 305-892-5363
Your rep: Maria Pacheco

Charlotte: 980-598-1114
Your rep: Kelly Walters

Denver: 303-256-9661
Your rep: Courtney Bell